Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Wandering Retired Love

I have been very blog negligent for several months and I apologize. Thankfully, my few loyal followers know better than to think I took a leap off the mountain during that trip I was so dreading in my last pitiful little blog. In fact, the amazing journey to the mountain peaks of Colorado did me a world of good. It took me a little while longer to really bounce back from the summer boy; but a few tears, a little irritation, lots of wine and friend time, and a kiss from a crush and I was on my way to moving forward to better things.

Then in the last few weeks, my dating world has me laughing hard in both good and ridiculous ways. I don't even know which story to go into first. I guess I'll start with the one that started off fairly normal. I met an old guy friend out one night for and met one of his friends, "Tim". We had a chance to talk just the two of us and hit it off. Originally, I was expecting a quick drink with my friend, so I went straight from working out, very casual, so it was flattering when Tim asked for my number.

Our mutual friend then practically wrote a thesis explaining the finer points of the guy. I had asked for his take on Tim but still was impressed at the obvious high regard he had for his friend. Sigh, I should have known better, right?

Well about a week later Tim and I met for a drink. Great conversation, good wit, fun time. I hoped to do it again. Then we had a holiday so it was another week until we could make plans again. But we decided on a week night date, no prob.

This is where it gets odd. You see Tim, is in his mid-thirties, never married and currently retired. This could be a good thing - looking for a career with more meaning and obviously has planned and saved so he can actively make this choice. I was hoping it was a sign he must have his act together.

Well, this retired thing apparently makes one rather forgetful and the date of our date came and went and I heard nothing from Tim. Not a call, not a text, not an email, not a letter, not a telegram. I.had.been.stood.up. I know dates flake out sometimes with something lame - I've had it happen at least once. But never not heard a single word or excuse. It seemed really out of character for the man I had received such praise about. And it was actually out of character, because he called the next day and obviously thought it was the day before.  Can we say buy a calendar? After a good round of apologies and groveling from Tim, we made another plan for dinner in a few nights.

So last night, we went to dinner and it was nice. Again good conversation and banter, intelligent and funny. Then he told me about what he was doing in five short days. Moving out of his apartment, leaving Dallas, and traveling for several months to visit relatives around the country while he figured out the next phase of his life. Why are we having a second date exactly?? Good Lord.

Thankfully, I was only feeling lukewarm about him so it wasn't a big loss but I just didn't get it. Especially when he didn't seem to want the date to end, he kept asking me to get another drink and hang out more (and no girls, he was not smooth enough to think he was going to get somewhere with me). Nah, don't think so, no need for a nightcap for me. Good luck with your journey Tim, thanks for drinks and dinner and let me know if you make a pit stop in Dallas some time.

On to the next adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment